[pct-l] Black Diamond Flicklock Poles

John Coyle jcoyle at sanjuan.edu
Thu Dec 22 13:43:00 CST 2011

Thanks to everyone who commented on the Black Diamond Flicklock Poles, I appreciate the input. I bought them last weekend, and yesterday was able to fool around with them for the first time.

I noticed that the Flicklocks were a little tight from the store, so I loosened them all up a little at home.  Then, just for curiosity, I decided to loosen them to the point where they slipped, and I was surprised how loose the Flicklocks could get before they slipped.  But they did slip eventually, but no worries, because I simply tightened the screw back the other way until they held tight again. Then I put a lot of pressure on them to the point where they bowed out a little--but no slippage, that's what I like to see.  When I put the same amount of pressure on my Fizan poles, the bottom section collapses all the way inside the pole.

A friend of mine bought the Fizan  Compact poles after a favorable review in BackPackingLight.  That brand is not well known in the States, but apparently well respected in Europe.  He had to send to England to get them. They are actually very nice poles, but I am beginning to think that all poles with internal expanders will slip to a certain degree.  He sold them to me after he decided to get the GG carbon fiber poles.

One person emailed me and said he likes the poles to slip a little because he would rather have them slip than break.  I don't know if slipping a little would prevent breaking a pole, but it is an interesting theory.

Anyway, I tried the Black Diamonds out by going up and down a 35 degree trail near Sacramento called "Training Hill" and they did not slip at all. I may try them out next on an even steeper trail next to the Foresthill bridge--the tallest bridge in California, the one that Vin Diesel jumped the corvette off in "XXX".  Also, I found that the 15 degree forward tilt handles were quite comfortable.  I think I am going to like these poles.