[pct-l] Water north of Crater Lake Rim Village

Mike Schaeffer chiefrat2006 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 14:33:12 CST 2011

Back in August, I had the same problem.  My wife and a few friends joined me at Mazama and hiked with me the next week.  I attempted to slow down to a 10 mpd pace for that week since those guys were getting up from their desk jobs to join me.  I had previously researched this part of the trail to see if it would be suitable for this group and also noted that water could be a problem.

Here is how we did it:

We carried enough water away from Mazama to get us to Rim Village.

>We filled up with enough water at Rim Village to get to Lightning Spring where there was a good campsite and water.
>
>The next day, we hit a water cache that we had previously planted along Route 209 near the intersection of the Hiker and Equestrian PCT trails around Mile 1844.  We ate dinner near the cache then hiked on a couple miles farther before camping.
>
>The next day, we took the Diamond Lake alternate route, carrying enough water from our cache to get us to the lake.  We camped at the Forest Service campground where there was water and a shower.  The pizza place was great also.
>
>The next morning we walked up the road to the Diamond Lake Resort where we had a great breakfast.  One of the guys had parked his rental car at the resort so and we had stashed the next few days worth of food in the car so we didn't have to carry so much leaving Mazama.
>
>After that, we hiked up the Thielsen Creek Trail and camped where it crossed the creek.  The next day we got back up to the PCT and headed north, stopping to camp at Maidu Lake.
>
>Our last hiking day took us to Windigo Pass where the Trail Angel from our group drove down from Seattle and brought lots of food and some water and other liquid refreshment.  We had a great night car camping there.

This worked out great for us.  It allowed me to take it kind of easy for a week and enjoy hiking with my wife and some very close friends.  It also solved the water problem that you noted.

Mike Schaeffer
AT '78
PCT '11, cont.'12