[pct-l] Ultra Light Backpack Pros and Cons

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Dec 17 22:56:39 CST 2011

On Dec 17, 2011, at 8:25 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Here's my question:  Is it worth having a lightweight pack if you
> have to
> suffer carrying 25-30 lbs with in-adequate support

> I am planning an estimated base pack weight of
> about 20 lbs (including the Aether) and expecting 35-40 lbs full pack
> weight.

No, it is not worth it. The choice of a lightweight, frameless
rucksack is the last purchase, after everything has been reduced to
something reasonable. I was only able to go with a lightweight pack
comfortably once I got my gear down to 12lbs and my maxiumum water
capacity to 3L. First day out with food was never fun, but it wasn't
miserable. When my gear was 22lbs, that was miserable and I ended up
purchasing a heavier pack part way through my hike, and Ospre Aura 65.

I did my hike in 2 pieces so before the 2nd half I reduce my pack
weight by a bowling ball's worth and that's when the light pack felt
good. Everything felt better, my back, my feet and my spirit.