[pct-l] Ultra Light Backpack Pros and Cons

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 17 17:54:45 CST 2011

Thank you for sharing your gear list.

I recommend a light pack, a pack over two pounds is pretty heavy for most thru-hikers.  I used the Golite Jam2 (21 ounces) on my thru-hike in 2010 and it lasted the entire trip.  The pack began to show wear after about 3500 miles of use.  This wear is acceptable considering the cost of about $100.  There are other better custom packs out there that can save you weight if you have the money.  Choosing a lighter pack will save you about 3 pounds, and based on your totals you would then be down to about 17 pounds.

I would also recommend not carrying, GSI outdoor mug, nylon bag for water filter, Mora Knife (find a light knife 1.5-2 in. blade), pack cover (carry a heavy trash bag instead), REI lite core mattress (NeoAir much lighter) and plastic bowl. That should save you about 27 ounces, and give you a pack weight of about 15.2 pounds... and not cost you much or change your hiking style.  The NeoAir small at campmor is just $99 and you can find a Golite Jam2 for $99 online.  So for about $200 you could be done... and ready to go.  If you want to save additional weight I would go with a down 800+ fill sleeping bag.  But that would cost you some serious cash and only save a little weight.

Good Luck on your preparations.

Paul

Hikethru.com
PocketPCT

Edited post below.

I currently own an Osprey Aether 70 which weighs in at about 4.5 lbs. As I'm looking into the Osprey Exos and other
> light packs,

: Is it worth having a lightweight pack
 I am planning an estimated base pack weight of
about 20 lbs (including the Aether) and expecting 35-40 lbs full pack
weight. My gear list is here:http://russmease.blogspot.com/p/pct-gear-list.html