[pct-l] horses

rob gratz hikergratz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 21:52:13 CST 2011

You are obviously very ignorant of the reality, that, were it not for
horses and mules, there would not BE a PCT for you to hike on. The
trail that you are hiking on was probably, historically, a horse
trail.

sorry ed your wrong. tradtional horse trails went east to west across
the ranges,not north and south.the only traditional horse trails i can
find were short segents to short lived mining operations.
here is the reality. the p.c.t. was origionaly envisioned as a hiking
trail,horseman wanted in on the action,so as a political compamise
they were allowed.
the truth is the p.c.t. could have been  constructed cheaper sooner
and on a better route unforntantly it had to be built to horse
standards.thats why nowadays we have to hike many extra
miles,ex.(fuller ridge to cabazon)or do road walks(seiad valley)

i did`nt really want to weigh in on this,but with a new crop of
horseman maybe i will get a honest answer.ive been on this list 12
years and almost every year ive posed this question to dozens of
horseman;

200 lb.hikers have to clean up after themselvesyou have to clean up
after your 50lb  dog. why do horseman  feel they don`t have to clean
up after their 800-1000lb animal .without minamizing the problem(it`s
not that bad,it`s just oats)without pointing out your good deeds(trail
work)why are horseman the only group exempt from leave no trace?