[pct-l] 2 person tent under 3 lbs

Hillary Schwirtlich hillary.schwirtlich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 22:06:39 CST 2011

Alicia,

My boyfriend and I completed our thru hike this summer with the Six Moon
Designs Lunar Duo, which we LOVED.

Condensation's just something you're going to have to deal with. That said,
you'll learn how to avoid places that will leave you drenched. You'll also
learn to deal with it when it does happen, either because there was no
other option or because your spidey sense failed you. Which happens. Oh,
and these tents will dry in thirty minutes in a breeze, less if it's sunny.

Anyway, the Lunar Duo is an absolute mansion, something we appreciated more
and more as we made it further and further north. People would see it and
freak about how big it was for how much it weighed. (Incidentally, it's the
only piece of gear I remember the weight of, because we got asked "how much
does it weigh?!" so much. It's 41 ounces, by the way.)

You do have to be careful with the zippers. We had (still have) major
problems with our zippers, probably because we were not as careful as
others. Or just ask SMD to give you a size or two larger zippers.

Also, like any lightweight tent, you have to know how to set it up. We
found in SoCal that it worked best for us to put guylines on all four
corners and the two walls, and then put rocks on every stake (total of 12
stakes - most found on the trail). After we learned that, we never lost a
corner in the middle of the night again. As most of the thru-hikers here
can tell you, the wind in Southern California can be insane. Don't worry,
it gets better. :)

Seahorse

PS, Thanks Bubs for calling my attention to this!