[pct-l] zpacks

Hillary Schwirtlich hillary.schwirtlich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:26:55 CST 2011

Zpacks makes really top notch gear - the owner's a thru-hiker and so
understands what we want. Other nice things about Zpacks are that things
are relatively cheap (stuff sacks, etc), that his shipping prices are
extremely reasonable, and that the package you get in the mail uses as
little packaging as possible.

That being said, my only issue with Zpacks gear isn't really with Zpacks so
much as with cuben fiber. Like others have said, you have to realize that
cuben fiber breaks down. It's advertised as very strong - and it is, in the
sense that it won't rip very easily. But it does abrade with the amount of
use a thru-hiker puts it through, causing the laminate to separate from the
threads that give the bag its strength. By the end, Bloodbath's pack was
mostly duct tape (and where's the weight-savings there? - I like to poke
fun at him - ), and both Chilidog and I had to toss our food bags because
they had just disintegrated into a spiderweb of strings on the inside that
made it hard to get to our food. Then again, a few people had no problems.

I think maybe a thru-hiker wouldn't have as much of an issue with the
Hexamid, because it doesn't get pulled out too often. But that's just
speculation.

Seahorse