[pct-l] hiking with dog

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Dec 14 18:38:21 CST 2011

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I am reminded of
a day on the trail near some shimmering lake on the way to Snoqualmie
Pass. I had been rained on for a few days and just really wanted to
get the heck out of the wilderness for a while. I was on my 2nd 30
mile day in a row on that quest to get out of the wilderness when I
came upon the lake where there were a lot of campsites. There was a
giant pit bull type dog growling at me really menacingly. So I just
stopped on the trail and crossed my trekking poles in front of me.
The dog's owner, a young guy, said he wouldn't hurt me. I don't
believe that when people say that because dogs seem to universally
dislike me for some reason. Maybe because I'm a parrot person and
they see me as prey. Anyway, I stood my ground and the dog stood his
until the owner grabbed a leash and came and got him. The owner was
nice. He and his friends invited me to dry out and warm up at their
nice campfire. I told them that for as miserable and wet as I was, I
really just wanted to keep moving and get to Snoqualmie Pass. I asked
them how far it was and they told me 10 miles or something like that
and invited me again to get warm. Now mind you, I'm 44 years old,
kinda small, just an old lady and these guys looked like football
players. I sighed in relief and said, "Oh thank god! Only 10 miles.
I'm so happy. I'll be there in no time." They looked at me like I was
nuts. They said, "You know, it took us all day long to get here." I
can't tell you how many times young bucks said stuff like that to me.
If I had a dollar for every time, I could do another thru-hike.
"You're going how far? You'll never make it! You'll be hiking in the
dark. I hope you have a headlamp." Ha ha ha. I was checking in to the
hotel on Snoqualmie Pass by 6pm and gorging on pork chops and hot
chocolate shortly thereafter. That's the thing I loved the most on my
hike. I was superwoman.