[pct-l] NEO Air + Tyvek

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 13:32:33 CST 2011

Lots of us have.  Here's my experience.  I started from Campo with a polycroy ground sheet instead of tyvek, to save weight.  When the polycroy was suitably shredded, I switched to my tyvek groundsheet.

I also carried, and used frquently, a cheap open cell foam pad (or closed cell, I never could remember the difference).  From ground up, it was ground sheet, tent, foam pad, neo-air, sleeping bag, and me.  My neo-air never got punctured.  And in the Sierra, I had an extra layer of insulation when we camped on snow or rock islands surrounded by snow.  In addition, the pad was great as a sitting pad at rest / lunch stops and as a surface to keep gear clean and organized when unpacking or packing.  The drawback is it weighs 10.25 oz, but it was worth it to me.

Good luck,

Mango