[pct-l] I take the High Route...You take the Low Route

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Dec 10 03:20:41 CST 2011

Yes,
Staying low in the canyons and meadows and among the trees has it's merits.
You have shade, wildflowers and vegetation.
However, you also have bears, mosquitoes and view obstruction.

I prefer to stay up high, above the bears, mosquitoes and view obstruction.

I like the high route, above the tree line, where the air is fresh and
cool the panoramic view expands as far as the eye can see and the Alpine
Lakes are crystal clear.

That is why the JMT is so dear to me....It follows the high route.

JMT Reinhold
Diane wrote:
I don't have a lot of winter or snow experience but you are absolutely
right about all those steep side slopes. That's practically all the PCT is.
It took me until somewhere around Glenn Pass to have my V8 moment: Duh!
This is a "Crest Trail."
That's why it's always up so high.

I had a fantasy much of the way through So Cal anyway that I would
design the Pacific Appropriate Trail where the trail would go through
canyons so there was always plenty of fresh water and stay in the trees
in the Sierras so you could enjoy the wildflowers and pretty