[pct-l] Early start, early finish

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Dec 8 19:56:23 CST 2011

Yogi and everyone else are absolutely right. It's not worth it trying
to start so early. The San Jacinto area can be really deadly and it's
early on in the hike.

You could start in Jan, Feb or March but only go as far as Highway 79
(Palm to Pines). Then come back April and continue on. I know
somebody who did this, maybe it was Cuddles in 2008. This would give
you a bit of a shakedown/warm-up. You'd need to keep track of the
weather, though, because it can get nasty during storms and you've
got the Lagunas right at the start. But if the weather has been mild,
you wouldn't have much trouble, except for it being really super cold.

The reality is that there's plenty of time to do the hike, even if
you are thinking you might be kind of slow. The PCT is easier to hike
than you might think. You can make up way more time by not taking too
many long town stops and by maximizing daily hours of hiking. You do
not need to hike fast to hike the PCT. Also, it's not nearly as hot
in April and May as most people fear.