[pct-l] Good campgrounds along the PCT?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 11:51:25 CST 2011

There are so many, she could almost do a drive-along full support for you
(if she wanted, and tour the local countryside in between). Going
Northbound, these sites  come readily to mind. Those marked with an asterisk
are especially handy since nearby local resupply options are few or
non-existant.

California:

This group will keep you together through the Sierra:
Walker Pass CG (*)
Chimney Creek CG (*) - 20 miles south of Kennedy Meadows
Kennedy Meadows CG - 3 miles north of KM
Horseshoe Meadows CG (*)
Onion Valley CG (*) - east of Kearsarge Pass - you'll adore the side trip
over the pass)
Reds Meadow
Tuolomne Meadow CG
Sonora Pass CG (*) - DAY USE ONLY; stay 13 miles west at Kennedy Meadow
North resort

Burney Falls State Park
Castle Crags State Park

Oregon:

Virtually any of the resorts or PCT road crossing have trailhead camping,
but reservations will be required for virtually every CG as they are wildly
popular. Easiest resupplying along the PCT.

Mazama CG just inside Crater Lake NP ... IF you can get reservations
Diamond Lake CG, or there's camping at hwy 138 near the PCT crossing
Lava Camp Lake CG (*) just east of McKenzie Pass (OR 242)
Ollallie Lake CG (*) - the resort does not accept packages any more

Washington: not many public CGs at or near the PCT

Panther Creek CG - meet in Cascade Locks and slack-pack the 14 mile
road-walk from CL to PCCG if you'd like. There's a Best Western by the PCT
and a public CG at CL.
Road 23 PCT crossing (*) - no CG but she can park here and camp at the
creek-side site 1/4 mile past. The nearest resupply is Trout Lake - a long
way away and hitching is poor.

Purple Point CG at Stehekin - small but nice. This makes a great multi-day
stop /mini vacation, but it's difficult and expensive to reach....but well
worth it. My wife and I have done it twice. She has to leave her car in
Chelan at the boat dock (they have a secure lot) and take the Lady of the
Lake boat up Lake Chelan to Stehekin. I'd recommend the Stehekin Lodge over
the CG. You leave the trail at High Bridge and walk or take the Park Service
shuttle into Stehekin to meet her and pick up your resupply box at the PO.
Spend 2 or 3 nights there with her. This is a reward for her, a rest for
you, and a welcome reunion. No roads to Stehekin; everything comes up on the
boat or barge, thus it's expensive to stay here.

Hart's Pass CG - your last chance to meet before the border, 32 miles north.
It is a 150 mile drive east of Seattle to Winthrop, WA. The Hart's Pass road
is unpaved north of Mazama as it twists and turns on the climb up to HP and
can be "interesting but safe" to drive - go slow and pay close attention to
what's ahead. I've taken our Dodge van up and down it. It's just barely wide
enough for 2 vehicles to pass (in most spots) unless one is a wide camper,
then somebody has to back up for a ways. The place is very popular with
local hunters and fishermen. If you're not planning to go on to Manning Park
and/or wish to avoid dealnig with the border crossing issues, you can
reverse to here from Monument 78 and exit here.