[pct-l] Ice breaker

Mike Chapman altathunder76 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 10:04:59 CDT 2011

Howdy Listers,and postholers, My name is Mikey,I have a little story
to loosen up the crowd. I was hiking alone in socal,a little before
chariot canyon. I was hot,and I come around the bend and I see about
16-20 thrus chilling near a seasonal stream,and it was smiles all
around. A guy across the stream asks me if I want some Jim Beam,any
other booze and I would have said no,but it happened to be a friend of
mines favorite whiskey,who had past away. I grabbed the bottle and
took a swig,this was living! As we laughed and talked,I heard a sound
coming near,a sound that was really loud,and louder by the second. I
stood up and saw a huge bee swarm,and it hit me,this is socal,land of
killer bees! When I saw the first one come near and noticed it was a
honey bee,I jumped up and yelled,"If these are africanized bees,were
all dead!!!" I grabbed my 50 lbs. bag and slung it over my back and
started running up the trail(without a water fill,doh!),I didnt even
look back for 2 miles,nobody even caught up to me till dark,at camp.
People laughed at me at first,but all ended up leaving because of the
bees. We all had some laughs about it later,and I somehow avoided a
new trail name. Just like on the trail,you cant take yourself too
serious,this list helps people. If a rant is needed,im sure most of us
would listen,and understand(and im sure take sides). Remember,these
words are forever,so beleive what your preaching. P.S. To those who
care,im doing well,ive been off and on trail. Had another accident
that put me back in surgeryland,but I feel like the luckiest man in
the world for the amount of the PCT ive been blessed with this year.
Good Luck Sam Fox,and Scott Williamson,I wish I had the nerve to
attempt such a task. Dreams only die if you quit dreaming. Hike
On,Always.