[pct-l] glacial runoff

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 15:13:14 CDT 2011

The cloudy run off water is mostly fine sand and sediment created by the ice grinding the rock up. You should let it settle out before you pour it into your bottle and then treat it. For filtration I would use a bandanna as a pre filter when I used my old pump, I now have a Katadyn filter with a ceramic filter that is easy to clean the silt out of. I don't think it will hurt you but it would be like eating a sandwich at the beach and enjoying the sand with it.

Hiking Irish.