[pct-l] Rainy Pass to Manning trip report

rogercarpenter at comcast.net rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 08:59:04 CDT 2011

I just completed a section hike starting from High Bridge to Manning Park, starting on Aug. 14 and finishing Aug. 18. The trail is in great condition now. We met section hiker Lee who finished at Manning on Aug. 18. Scott Williamson signed in at the Monument 78 register on Aug. 8 presumably after hiking from the south (from Rainy Pass?) to begin a southbound thru-hike in 75 days.

We encountered numerous, very small snowfields that required very little extra care. The one exception was the north face of Rock Pass which required some care walking below the snow on the loose soil where it is fairly steep. My hiking partner Tom and I also used our traction devices (Katoolas & light crampons, respectively) on a larger snowfield below Rock Pass.

Lee told us that the conditions between Snoqualmie Pass and Agnes Creek were much worse, especially near Glacier Peak, but he managed to hike though carrying only a single trekking pole which he needed for self arrest. Lee said other hikers turned back but he chose to press ahead and completed the section from Snoqualmie to Manning in just 11 days!

Bottom line: Rainy Pass to Manning is in great shape for anyone to hike right now. The trail is in great condition and the wildflowers were wonderful, too. The hike celebrated the15th anniversary of my 1996 thru-hike. The small journey this time exceeded all my expectations!

Roger Carpenter