[pct-l] Satelite Phones

Craig Eden cjwicked at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:25:36 CDT 2011

Original Message:
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:54:02 -0700
From: Anthony Paolozzi <don_paolozzi at hotmail.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Satellite phone rentals?
To: <pct-l at backcountry.net>

 Has anybody ever rented a satellite phone for their trip on the PCT? I'm
not sold on the Spot and will only use it for a week so paying so much for
the service plan isn't worth it for me, but having contact to the outside
world in case of an emergency is.  I've found plenty of places on line but
can't find anything out about their reputation or service. Thanks for any
info Tony

I own a satellite phone but no longer maintain the service. (Cell Service
has become very reliable) I also own and use the SPOT. The satellite phone
is heavy and the service is expensive.The spot is lite and the service is
less expensive than the sat service. I hiked from Pooh Corner to Crater Lake
in 2009 and rarely did I not have Cell service and sent a SPOT signal twice
a day with no problem at all.  Craig