[pct-l] PLBs, SPOT, and SATs

Janet Grossman janetgr at Cableone.net
Mon Aug 15 22:16:39 CDT 2011

Thanks, Radar,
And I was using my poles at the time I fell, though obviously they
didn't help me at that moment. They have helped me a lot, though, at
other times.

Another time they didn't help was on last summer's section hike, when a
pebble rolled under my foot on a completely flat, straight section of
trail, and I managed to skin my knee in a pile of horse poop. I cleaned
it and used Polysporin, and it healed without signs of infection.
However, I continued to have a feeling of the skin ripping open every
time I bent my knee, and got painful red bumps around the knee starting
a few weeks after it had healed. When I had my annual skin cancer check
from a dermatologist in January this year, he did a biopsy on one of the
bumps, said it was folliculitis, and didn't tell me to anything at all
about it. Finally in June I took penicillin around an oral surgery, and
lo and behold, no more bumps or skin pain on the knee. Just a warning
that you may actually need an oral antibiotic for such an injury. And
I'm still a great believer in poles despite this one and my current
shoulder blade problem.
Janet