[pct-l] ultralight-self supported

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 14:42:05 CDT 2011

Daniel -

If you have not thru hiked a long trail before or done lots of other long
distance competitive challenges the chances of breaking a thru hiking
"record" is pretty slim.  There is more to long distance hiking than the
physical aspects of it.

Scott Williamson who probably holds the record at 65 days has hiked the
trail over 10 times.  He brings a lot of experience to the trail - he knows
the tricky trail junctions, the weather conditions, the water sources, the
resupply options, what he likes to eat when hiking, his gear, his shoes,
etc, etc , etc.

If you haven't done the trail before I would recommend that you just set
your sites on completing it in one year.  This actually is a pretty big
challenge for most people.

I read a cute post a while ago about somebody breaking the speed record for
viewing the Louve Museum - they did it is under 10 minutes.  The article
was done tongue in check with the moral of the story to slow down and enjoy
the beauty.

Nothing against challenging ones self - but a thru hike is such a great
opportunity to immerse oneself in nature and the beauty of the trail that it
shouldn't be rushed through.  All the standard disclaimers:   IMHO, HMMV,
HYOH etc.

Day-Late (taking the slow road)