[pct-l] Has anyone hiked Section K (Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass) in Washington?

Keith Kurko kwkurko at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 14:45:05 CDT 2011

Hi Rick,

I have not hiked it, but I plan to do some hiking on parts of that section
about one week after you start.  I have been closely monitoring trip reports
nearby from the Washington Trails Association website.

It appears that there is still a fair amount of snow on shaded north and
east slopes above 5500 feet or so, and in some cases lower.

Further to the west of the crest, it has been announced that the road to
Artist Point by Mt Baker will not open this year because of the deep snow.
While Mt. Baker is famous for getting huge snow totals, in the last 30 years
I don't ever recall that road not opening during summer.

In addition to the above average snow pack, we having an unusually cool
summer and the melt seems to be proceeding more slowly than usual.

Keith