[pct-l] CURRENT trail conditioins Mammoth to S.City

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Aug 4 20:07:29 CDT 2011

I think many of us have absolutely no idea what a horse can or cannot
do. Sometimes I look at the trail and can't imagine a horse with its
spindly little legs could ever manage at all, but then some horse
person will say no problemo. Can they walk on talus/scree slopes? Can
they walk on potato-roller rocks? Can they walk on the snow? Can they
do the high altitude stuff? How big a log is too big for them to step
over? How steep a side-slope is impossible for them if a log is in
the way? How low does a branch have to be before it blocks their
path? I honestly have no idea.

Diane