[pct-l] SNOW REPORT NORTH CASCADES

Matt Albertson matt at mattalbertson.com
Thu Aug 4 11:48:46 CDT 2011

Did some short day hikes on the PCT at Stevens Pass last weekend. Only encountered a few patches of snow climbing the couple of miles south to the Wild West Traverse between Big Chief and Cowboy mtns. Heading north was a different beast altogether. Lost the trail multiple times under snow. Being my first time in the area, if I hadn't of had Halfmile's overlay map loaded onto my GPS I wouldn't have made it the 5 miles or so to Lake Valhalla--where I decided I'd had enough and turned around. Patchy snow starts about two miles in and eventually turns to solid cover. Two others I'd encountered on the trail turned back before the set of switchbacks the lead up to the lake.

Overall a fun experience, but was definately expecting more melt by now.

Hope that helps,
Matt