[pct-l] PCT question

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Thu Aug 4 14:16:25 CDT 2011

> I'm planning a PCT hike next april. I am looking for shelters. I have been trekking with my Eureka Spitfire solo now for 4 years, its about 34oz. I am wondering if this is considered relatively average or too heavy? Other tarptents I've looked at. Are about the same. Does anyone have any suggestions about this tent?

Hello Cameron,

Some PCT hikers consider tents over 32 ounces to be on the "heavy
side" of things. So your Spitfire is right there on the edge for most
folks.

One of the more popular TarpTents out there, the "Rainbow" weighs 34
ounces. ref: http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Another popular TarpTent out there is the "Moment" and it weighs 30
ounces. ref: http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html

I have owned them both. They are for all intents and purposes the
same, except for height. The Rainbow has a lot more headroom (thus 2oz
more of material).

Other alternatives, if you did want to lighten your load could be the
TarpTents above or:

ZPacks HexaNet/Tarp - (12.4 oz) -
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexanet_solo.shtml

Hyperlight Mountain Gear Echo 1 - (23.7 oz) -
http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products/echo-i-ultralight-system.html

LightHeart Solo - (27 oz) -
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=15

You could also consider going with a Tarp only, which could save you 30 ounces.

You could also consider going with a Tarp and Bivy, which could save
you about 24 ounces.

You would have to be willing to spend a pretty penny to start saving a
lot of ounces off your existing system. I think most folks would just
tend to agree to call it good with what you have, at its weight level,
unless you do not feel confidant or comfortable inside of it, or just
want to find a much lighter alternative.

Hope this helps!

John B. Abela
RedwoodOutdoors.Com