[pct-l] CURRENT trail conditioins Mammoth to S.City

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 11:31:01 CDT 2011

Hi Puddlejumper,

Thanks for your post with info.

To answer your question:  It depends on how much he is carrying and on how long and steep the pass is. Is it really rocky - with step-ups?  I might ride  or "tail" on long uphills like that. I would not either walk alongside or lead. I tail a lot with my horses. I rode Primo on my long PCT journey to Canada.  "Tailing" is when you walk behind the horse while holding on to its tail with one hand and the extended reins with the other. I can walk up a 15% grade as easily as if I were on the level by this method. I sometimes tail during 50 and 100 mile endurance races. This summer I will be riding Neekalos. He is also an Arabian, is very tough and sure-footed. He has won five endurance races and holds two course records. His most recent win was last August - a 50-miler at Chamberlain Creek. That is a very challenging course with 6920 vertical feet of accumulated gain. Our ride time was about four and one-half hours, which included his recovery time at
 the three Vet checks. The clock continues to run until your horse's pulse drops to criteria, which on that course was 60bpm. I met hiker Tom Bache during my PCT ride in 2008. He hiked while I rode, and sometimes walked and tailed.  You can find Tom's post and description on search by typing in:          edandersonpct         just one word, no spaces. Then scroll down

MendoRider