[pct-l] Backpack Packing strategies...

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 00:21:40 CDT 2011

Hello,

First, spend 8 minutes of your life and watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wuwNnRfrG4

I would not be able to comment on this overall too much. I have gone
from using a 4,200 cubic inch (68.8 liters) backpack to a 2,600 cu in
(42.6 liters) and I have just placed an order for a 1,000 cu in (16.3
liters) backpack that I am hoping beyond all hope I will be able to
get my gear into. However what I can comment on is that a good deal of
it depends upon the design of your bag. These days with things like
Backpack lids/brains, it is just totally screwing up how to properly
go about packing a backpack. Best thing I ever did was order a custom
made backpack with no outside pockets (except for two shoulder
pouches). Not only does it force me into properly packing a backpack -
and not having to counter balance with outside pocket weight - but it
results in zero snags with trees and bushes.

I think there are so many different "suggestions" out there on the
internet that it just really makes most people lost in what is
'right'. Watch the video and stop and think about everything you might
be reading on the internet about this issue. It will so totally
disprove the vast majority of what you are probably reading.

Not a lot of info I can share on this fact beyond what I have. I am
sure if you provided some further details on the pack you have and the
amount of gear you have and what your big-three are, it could help
some folks help you with some initial suggestions!

John B. Abela
www.RedwoodOutdoors.com