[pct-l] kahtoola microspikes vs. kahtoola KTS alum

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Apr 26 21:38:00 CDT 2011

For the typical Spring, morning crusty snow (and occasional
ice-on-the-trail) conditions you're going to find during the months of May,
June, and July in the mountains of California, notably from San Jacinto
north to Tahoe, the Kahtoola Microspikes will do just fine.

We received a box of both, the microspikes and KTS units, the other day to
product-test on our last Snow Basics Course, but the weather was simply so
aweful and the snow so soft that they were not needed--no ice or crusty snow
to be found! So, we'll have to take them out on the next Mountain Basics
Course next month. Our primary concern, now, is whether the spikes will
"ball-up" with wet, sticky snow (when the conditions are right) preventing
spike contact with any surface at all (like walking on a half a softball).
However, in these conditions, you don't need the things anyway, yet soft
conditions can exist right next to a shady, icy area across which you're
about to walk, so it is a concern we haven't yet tested. Kahtoola does make
a "Snow Release Skin" for the KTS to help alleviate this problem, but not
for the microspikes.

In the meantime, upon playing with them, we are relieved to see that the
"rubber bands" that hold the microspikes onto our boots more than held for
running around on the lawn (we were concerned that the spikes would roll off
the shoe during forceful, lateral, "catch-you-balance-quickly" sidesteps).
In our case, Kahtoola sized the spikes to our boots, but we have heard that
you might need the next size down when fitting to trailrunners so that they
will fit tightly and predictably or add a Velcro strap over the instep.

The KTS model looks killer, but overkill still against the average snow
conditions thru hikers will see on their way through the Sierra. It was nice
to see that the forward points are pointed more down than those of
traditional crampons which point more forward having the tendency to cause
soft tissue injuries in the unskilled user.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd