[pct-l] What is a PCT Ambassador?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Apr 25 19:17:58 CDT 2011

I don't have a concise blurb, but the whole issue reminds me of a
study I read about the impact of having so many choices in our
consumer culture. One of the impacts is that too many choices makes
deciding on something very difficult. The amount of research that
goes into making a choice makes us feel we have to make a perfect
choice, which then raises the expectations to unrealistic levels. The
result is that we always feel disappointed.

I see this attitude expressed from time-to-time on various hiking
boards and by hikers on the trail and it always bristles. Someone
will go on and on about how such-and-such establishment or business
has crappy service or products because of some disappointment that
happened. Very often what happened had to do with expectations and a
desire for a level of perfection that may be extremely difficult for
a small company out in the sticks to meet.

One thing I treasured about my PCT experience was living for 6 months
outside the consumer society. Letting go of all of that. I was happy
to go to small towns and experience the quirks that small businesses
have to offer. Whatever quirks or disappointments were more than made
up for with serendipitous magic that happened throughout the trail.

I do wish that the person who lost their gear in WS would focus more
on the magic of how it was replaced than the mistake that happened.

Diane