[pct-l] 1/3 of hikers start at end of April in monumental snow year?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 23 13:31:29 CDT 2011

Goodness wrote:

I am afraid of snow. Not afraid of big miles in norcal. Pushed start date to
may 16.

As Steel-Eye just said, everyone gets to pick their own fear.  Personally,
I'm more afraid of scorching desert heat than I am of snow in the Sierra, so
if I were thru-hiking this year (which I'm not, tragically), I'd probably
still start in April.  Snow is just one factor in a many-part equation and
when you consider everything all together, starting mid-to-late April makes
a lot of sense in almost any year.  Scott's numbers don't surprise me one
bit and I continue to believe they'd be largely the same with or without
ADZPCTKO.  But starting later this year is also a reasonable strategy so if
that is what makes you comfortable, go for it.

Eric