[pct-l] Sierra mileage

Brandon McGinnity bmcginnity at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 20:01:43 CDT 2011

Thanks everyone, your info is very helpful, please keep it coming.

What I'm hearing is that, on average, mileage usually increases again around
Bridgeport/Sonora Pass, but not before then? So still plan for big eating
between VVR and there? I know this year may be worse, but I need to go by
something here. Also, the "real" snow doesn't start until, say, 70 miles
north from KM? What was the winter/snow like last year?

Right now my resupply plan is KM, Independence, VVR, Tuolumne, Bridgeport,
South Lake Tahoe, maildrops in bold. Personally, I'd love to wait to figure
out mileage and such, but I have to get this maildrop set up now, with
resupply sounding pretty doubtful at VVR. I'd love to skip the maildrop
altogether, with the hassle and the fee... Think it's worth the chance of
hoping for VVRs store to be stocked? If it's not, I'm screwed, right?

Hmm. Pardon my thinking "out loud" here in this email. Maybe I'll skip the
VVR drop, scrounge a few days food there somehow, and plan on Mammoth for
sure. Problem is I'm hiking with a partner, and I don't want to screw his
hike up with my winging it (i love to wing things, by the way.). Also it
seems VVR's a great place for a zero, as the tents are free, and the
restaurant right there... rather than paying for a room in town. Course
there's always the chance the store will be stocked and I'm good to go all
the way to Tuolumne. See how I confuse myself?

--
~ Moccasin