[pct-l] Food in the Sierras

Jason Moores jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 18:53:45 CDT 2011

For the life of me, I don't understand the annual bear can avoidance threads

It wasn't one, until you made it so. I've carried a can all three times that
I've been in the Sierra. I was discussing additional reasons for carrying
the can beyond the myopic argument, "save the bears".

Truly it is about protecting the bear from your food. Nobody cares if a
hiker is foolish enough to lose his sustenance far from the trailhead

Not everyone relates to bear protection the way we may hope. Unfortunately,
many care more about themselves than the bears. This is only natural and all
the more reason to broaden the argument beyond this point.

Personally my number one reason for carrying a can is for self preservation.
By not camping in the heavily used areas where the bear boxes are located, I
greatly reduce my chances for a bear encounter. My first concern is not that
I may loose my food(I know that I can hike out and get more), it's waking up
in the night to a bear in my camp. This could be a direct threat to my life
and therefore supersedes my concern for the bear.  This is the reason for
wanting to camp closer to the pass that I mentioned before. Postholing can
be dangerous.

Yes, please do all that you can to protect the bears. Don't get me wrong,
I'm all for protecting the bear population. It's just that in the end...self
preservation wins hands down. There's no reason not to expand this topic
beyond the usual core argument, to include personal safety.

Jackass