[pct-l] Sierra Snow Update

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Apr 21 13:57:56 CDT 2011

Consider this:  miles and miles of suncups. Creek fords that are dangerous under non-epic conditions. Not being able to see or walk on the trail, and having to use map and compass through some of the most formidable geography most people have ever seen.  Avalanche danger.  Post-holing.

Maybe you want an adventure like this and possess the necessary skills and equipment (and know how to use it). But I am here to tell you that not all hikers have those skills or are prepared for that type of an adventure.  Most just want to go for a hike -- challenging perhaps, but not necessarily perilous.

The point is to make everyone AWARE of the conditions ahead, and for each individual to decide for themselves whether they are ready for that type of experience or not. Telling you that there is a lot of snow ahead is not meant to scare, but to let people know what to be prepared for.

In the Sierra, this may well be the biggest snow year that any of us has ever seen. At least that's what is being reported from the people who live there and know the trail.  You do what you want with the information.

L-Rod