[pct-l] ice axe vs pole self arresting

Gary Swing homelessontherange at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 15:46:58 CDT 2011

Thanks, Mango.

I own three old, solid ice axes that I've used for mountaineering in Colorado, but they're very heavy --about twice the weight of the Whippet. I don't really want to carry any of them on the PCT. I looked at lighter weight ice axes, but the cost was too high. Last week, the Anchorage REI had a 1/2 off clearance sale on the Whippet, so we're having them send one to us at the Denver store.

Cheers,

Gary Swing
"Half Fast"