[pct-l] ice axe vs pole self arresting

Ate Tuna atetuna at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:18:15 CDT 2011

The problem with using a trekking pole is that you can only exert as much
force as your upper body strength allows.  An ice axe allows you to use your
body weight.  Also, to use a trekking pole effectively, you have to choke up
on it.

The book you linked to says trekking poles are great for preventing falls
because the greater stability allows you to stay upright, but it talks about
self arrest grips on the trekking poles for preventing falls.  Normal
trekking poles don't have those grips.  As far as I know, only the Black
Diamond Whippet and Stubai Tour Lite have those grips.  Even those devices
may not be useful if you're using it as a trekking pole when you fall
because you may not be able to orient it correctly quick enough.