[pct-l] Section D Mt baden powell snow

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 00:21:02 CDT 2011

Last year, and used both traction devices and an ice axe, as did many, over
very snowy San Jacinto and Fuller Ridge, and am glad I had them.  If you
really need the one, it's probably time for the other as well.  It was not
overkill in the least, and most people that ended up going over and not
walking around, used both.  Many chose to walk around instead, it was that
dangerous.  Conditions change from year to year, and in spite of the heavy
snow we encountered in the High Sierra, the most dangerous passage of the
entire hike was over Fuller Ridge, due to ice.  Many years it is not the
case I'm sure, as folks have talked about how relatively tame it has been in
other years.  It was not last year.  So, check out the PCTA office in
Idyllwild if you have any doubt about the conditions up there. They keep up
to date info on the conditions, but don't underestimate what gear you'll
need until you find out what the conditions are when you actually get there.

Shroomer