[pct-l] Castella resupply?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 20:42:19 CDT 2011

I walked the road over to the gas station/store and the separate PO. Awesome
place! No problem whatsoever resupplying there. Great deli too. I'm told the
attached restaurant is now closed. There is even a side trail from the
campground to the store. PCT hikers have a special reserved campsite with a
feeder trail directly up to the PCT.

I got an easy ride into Dunsmuir by asking drivers at the gas pumps.
Unfortunately, Greyhound decided many years ago to bypass the town (and many
other small, off interstate towns ). The only public transportation is
Amtrak, and it gets there in the dark at ungodly hours; southbound at 12:35
am and northbound at 5:04 am. These are scheduled times, but the Coast
Starlight is ALWAYS delayed, in both directions, because Amtrak doesn't own
the tracks - the UP does. Amtrak trains get shunted onto sidings so the UP
freights can go past.