[pct-l] Deep creek closure... why?

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 14 21:05:17 CDT 2011

There are two landslides and a bridge that is out in the canyon.  I stopped in at the Lake Arrowhead Ranger District Offices where I was shown an e-mail from the crew leader that went out there.  It said one of the slides is too large for a crew with hand tools to do anything about and that it would be necessary to bring in heavy equipment.  Not having been to the slide, I don't know how difficult or even safe it would be to traverse it.

However, I have a book of trails in the San Bernardino Mountains and it indicates a trail leading off the detour to the hot springs.  It is six miles each way plus the elevation loss and gain of several hundred feet.  The trail is supposed to branch off of 3N34 just south of Willow Creek (the biggest one you will cross on the detour) and follows it down to the canyon.  The person at the information desk was not familiar with this trail and does not believed to be maintained.

However, she then told me about another trail that also branches off of the detour from HWY 73 a couple of miles after you join it from 3N34.  This trail (which is not in my trail book) is before the highway closure and follows Kenley Creek.  It also would be about six miles each way with a substantial climb down and again back up.

The Hot Springs can also be accessed from the other side of the canyon via the Bowen Ranch but this would require a car shuttle.

One thing you might want to keep in mind, is as that section is closed, if you should hike it anyway and slip, fall and become injured down there, there won't other hikers, a ranger or anyone else to go for help.  As it is a deep canyon there is no cell service in there either.  Just something to include in you deliberations.

Shepherd