[pct-l] Keeping athlete's foot at bay

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:47:04 CDT 2011

> I didn't find athlete's foot to be a problem in the deserts, where it was
> dry or in the High Sierra, where we were always wet, but we were walking
> through snow a good bit of the time.  The constant dunking in ice water
> seemed to keep the shoes clean.  But, in the Northern Sierra, it became a
> problem for me, and many others I hiked with.  We were still wading streams
> all the time, but the temps were much warmer all around.  By that point I
> figured I was pretty much immune to it, but when I reached Sierra City, I
> took off my shoes at the Red Moose, and they looked like red lobsters.  I
> had jungle rot so bad I thought I'd have to leave trail.  It wasn't athletes
> feet, as it didn't itch, it just looked like my skin was about to fall off.
> Totally gross.

That afternoon I was able to buy anti fungal cream and powder at the little
store, and creamed up.  It was so bad, that if it hadn't improved by the
next day, I figured I'd just take a few days off.  It did improve, a lot,
and I hit trail all dusted up from then on.  Little Engine, Plain Slice,
Motor, and most everyone else I knew at one time or another came to me for
cream, before buying it themselves, over this stretch of trail, and further
north.  This kind of jungle rot came on so quickly for Motor, that she came
to me at one break and took off her shoes and her feet had gone red, and
seriously blistered, not from rubbing, she didn't get blisters from shoes,
there were several more than an inch across, open and ugly.  She had no sign
of it the day before according to her.  We treated the blisters for
infection, and then creamed up her feet, and she was over the rash quickly,
but the sores took a few days longer.

So my advice is carry a bit of both anti fungal powder and cream, and be
prepared to buy more.  Maybe just get it after the snow, as no one I knew
had a problem with it until beyond Tahoe.

Shroomer