[pct-l] Section D snow hazard

Perry Chamberlain juniper_canoeman at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 01:33:14 CDT 2011

 I just met the first hiker comming thru section D, on the station fire walk around.
He will post when he gets to hiker heaven, but had some advice about snow.
Blue ridge from wrightwood was impassable.
Mt. Baden powell, was completlty impassable, and extremly dangerous, even with his  ice crampons and full mountaineering gear.
The snow level was extremly deep, no trail, no path visible, just tree tops.
Even though he was on top of snow because of crust, conditions were perilous.
With warm up and melting  starting, he was sure hikers would be be plunging in to snow deeper then a hiker.
He also mentioned that going around via highway 2,  was tough because the highway which is usually melted by now, ahead on labor day opening, was covered in deep snow.
Because of the fire closure, highway may not be cleared this year, because it mat be closed.
This hiker is considered Very Experienced, with the PCT.
Those who are making trail decisions, should keep updated with conditions.
I live about a half mile from section D walk around start, and this year we received more then 6 times the amount of rain/ snow then last year.
We got 12 inches of rain in two weeks.
Not to be a fear monger, but if these are the conditions in section D in southern California, I just cannot imagine what the sierras are going to be like, with locations in the sierras  getting a stunning  940  inches of snow this season.
For those of you doing the math, thats 78 feet of snow.
:-)
Mammoth is expected to be open this year for skiing, well into July.
Those folks up north, who are in the know, will be the best advice about snow conditions/safety, and should be listened to very carefully this year.
Their info will be critical this year, and will probably save lives.
On a lighter note, the PCT water cache in section D, at the intersection of Mt. Emma Rd. and Angeles National Forest Hwy, has been set up early, due the early hikers comming thru.
It will be maintained, until nobo season ends.

Canoeman

Section D trail Angel
Juniper Hills