[pct-l] Thru-hiking SOBO/Harts Pass

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 17:33:06 CDT 2011

Hitching isn't all that difficult - - - .  On the last leg of my ride to Canada
in 2009 I had left
my horse in good care near Steven's Pass and drove my rig north, caching
resupplies at Rainy Pass and then (leaving the trailer at Mazama), drove up to
Harts pass and cached at the Ranger Station. Then drove back down to Mazama and
left rig at the equestrian center. It is a short walk from Mazama to Highway 20.
I got a ride to Winthrop within ten minutes. Four more rides ( and about seven
hours - faster than waiting for public transportation) got me back to Primo and
I rode north. I had prearranged someone to trailer us around the Little Giant
part of the detour - as it was considered very dangerous to horses.

When I reached the border monument 78 I turned right around and rode south to
Mazama. The scenery between Harts Pass and Canada is spectacular and well worth
enjoying from both directions.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson