[pct-l] Section F Report

Christopher Sanderson csandowalk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:42:04 CDT 2011

Hey Everyone,

I just finished a hike through Section F (Walker Pass to Hwy 58), and I
wanted to give a report.  Water is flowing in many places.  Near McIver
Spring, there are seasonal flows all over the place.  There is plenty of
water through the Paiute Mountains, due to recent snows.  If heading
northbound, there are seasonal creeks flowing for about a mile and a half
before Golden Oaks Spring.  If those sources are still flowing, I recommend
getting water from them, as the water coming out of the pipe at Golden Oaks
has a lot of chunky floaties in it.  Yummy!

The Paiutes got its share of snow.  In some places it was a foot deep!  Most
of the way, it was 3-6 inches in depth.  With temperatures rising, I'd
imagine that the snow will be melted within the next week.  The great thing
about the snow was seeing all the animal tracks, and I am here to tell you
all that I saw 8 different sets of bear tracks... seriously.  I had no idea
that there was that much bear activity up there! Use caution with your food.

Of course, there are still a lot of motorcycle tracks on the PCT.  I thought
the BLM and the Forest Service were cracking down on that.  Granted, I was
happy to see more barricades on the trail that did not exist back in 2003.
 There's a lot of education that needs to happen to address the issue.

Blowdowns are scattered throughout the section, and it looks like there are
a few that have been down for some time.  I cleared some off the trail, but
someone's gonna have to use a chainsaw on the bigger trees.

Otherwise, I think Section F is an awesome section.  I had forgotten how
diverse it is, and the sweeping views were stunning.  I am off to hike
Section E, and when I get to the Saufleys place, I will send another report.

Big props to Russell in Bakersfield for lodging and a ried up to the trail.
 Your hospitality was awesome!  Thanks again.

Have a great time out there hikers!

Peace,

Freefall

--
"Everyone needs beauty as well as bread, places to play and pray, where
nature heals and give strength to body and soul alike."