[pct-l] shipping fuel canisters

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Mon Apr 11 17:24:36 CDT 2011

The quote on White Blaze refers to UPS not USPS. I have talked to both UPS
and FedEx about shipping small quantities (Consumer Commodity) of fuel. In
order to ship any fuel I had to register as a Hazmat shipper. Oodles of
paper work that I didn't even look at, other than the size.

There has been a change in regulations for the trucking industry regarding
the shipping of hazardous gases and/or liquids. So far the Postal
Regulations have not changed.

You can still ship fuel at the Post Office by labeling your package "ORM-D
Consumer Commodity" and "Ground Only".   The primary container (canister)
must be metal and the volume is less that 1 liter per package (mail piece in
USPS jargon). see paragraph 10.12.3 on this page:
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065036   The way I read it you can
ship two 110 gram canisters or one 220 gram canister in each package. A
thru-hiker is unlikely to want to mail more than that.

Paragraph 10.14 addresses solid fuels, i.e.  Esbits. If securely packaged
they can also be shipped as "ORM-D Consumer Commodity".

All the info on http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm is still correct
except that USPS reorganized their webpages. Follow the link above to find
the same information on a new webpage.

I recommend you take a printout of my webpage to the Post Office when you
mail your first package containing fuel. (You may want to take it along
every time, in case you get a new postal clerk.) Be nice, but persistent
with the postal clerks. If they look into the postal regulations they will
find fuel can be shipped in small quantities.

Ken

PS   Thanks to everyone who sent me a copy of this post.