[pct-l] tips for someone just starting?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Apr 10 15:07:57 CDT 2011

Good afternoon, Noel,

My frame-of-reference is that of an ultra-lite hiker – whatever you want
that to mean – with a typical 8-lb. base weight.  The term “base weight”
usually means everything except you, your hiking clothes, and the
consumables -- food, water, and fuel.

Publishing a gear list to a bunch of characters like you find on PCT-L is
sometimes not very satisfying -- a bit like taking down one’s pants in
public.  There are usually all kinds of hoots, moans, giggles, and comments
about sanity, but my gear can be found narrated beginning at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=263803 and continuing for the next
twenty-some pages.

If you are serious about long-distance hiking I suggest you learn to lighten
your load, but equally as important, learn to use that stuff – and only that
stuff – during lots of training in all foreseeable PCT hiking-season
conditions.  Hike.  Hike a lot.  Learn to use and rely upon your
stuff.   During
all that training pitch anything you can’t, won’t, or didn’t use.  Be
willing to change your mind.  Try different things and methods.  Challenge
everything.  When in doubt – leave it out.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09