[pct-l] Washington Snow Depth and Temps

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Sun Apr 10 11:52:31 CDT 2011

This is a repeat.....but you guys are getting close and the SOBO are getting
nervous because it is still snowing up here in Washington. WADOT is talking
about the latest opening of Hwy 20 which crosses the PCT up North.  Normal
start date for SOBO is June 15th...ish. Have to watch the melt rate to guess
what you'll find. Don't expect perfect hiking conditions. That happens in
July and August. Don't dilly dally if you're a true NOBO. And again check
your weather if you are a little slower NOBO. The weather will change fast
from summer to foggy, cold, rainy.....snowy winter. This last year we went
from summer to winter and missed everything in between. We've had winters
stop NOBO here at Steven's Pass and Snoqualmie Pass by September 25th.

Don't know what decisions the SOBO will be making about the ongoing border
crossing threats. Any alternate route to get to the Monument may have more
untouched snow than the regular trail.

Here's a link for the hikers to watch that will tell you the current snow
depth and temperature for Washington snow depth and temperatures. Good for
SOBO and Flips to check. Snotel also has sites for Oregon and California.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Washington/washington.html

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Oregon/oregon.html

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/California/california.html

PCT MOM