[pct-l] tent footprints

Peter Shaw pshaw999 at cox.net
Sat Apr 9 09:31:13 CDT 2011

I'm not a UL hiker nor ever likely to be. Having said that I found the
footprint one of my most convenient pieces of gear. I carried the luxury of
a two-person Big Agnes SL2 tent in 09. The neat thing about their design was
that the poles could be set up attached to either the inner tent or the
footprint. I would use the footprint and then I could easily move the
structure around to find the best site. I would then feel for nasty objects
and easily get to them and remove them. Then I'd stake down the footprint
and assemble the inner tent and then the fly if I wanted it that night.
Using this method, I could also put the fly on first and then the inner
tent. That way if it was raining I could keep the inner tent completely dry.
I practiced this at home beforehand but in '09 the weather was very
cooperative and I never had to put the tent up in the rain. If it was really
windy, having the poles and footprint staked down securely before starting
on the rest of the tent made it very easy. Also, if the weather was really
nice and I cowboy camped, then I would just stake down the footprint.

In the mornings, only the footprint was wet on the bottom and that could be
easily dried out once the sun was out. My tent never had any signs of wear
or punctures or anything like that - for that matter neither did the
footprint. I did get the tent replaced in Bend because the inner zipper had
failed (I love REI for their return/replacement policy). The same tent is in
my bag for the CDT this year. The only hole I've ever had was from a critter
chewing through the wall because I foolishly left a bag of trail mix in the
tent when I slack-packed part of the Trans-Catalina trail on Catalina
Island.

I personally thought the few ounces for the footprint was well worth it.

Peanut Eater