[pct-l] Quilt question. Need advice

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:27:39 CDT 2011

First, sleep with more clothes on.  That will help tremendously.

Second, with quilts you can lose a lot of heat with any draft.  So make sure
you eliminate draft wherever possible.

Third, your body will generate more heat if you are well hydrated and
consume more fat before bedding down.  So tank up on fatty calories/oil
before heading to bed.

Fourth, condensation allows heat to transfer better (that's bad).  So cut
down on condensation by making sure you don't breath into the quilt (ie:
don't put your entire head under the quilt.  Doing so will make you feel
warmer at first - as you are essentially filling your sleeping area with
warm air) - but as the nights moves on the condensation from your breath
will accumulate inside and allow heat to transfer away from your body more
rapidly.  So you can cover your head, but make sure you're not exhaling
under your quilt.

These four things combined should keep you more toasty than you were that
night.  :)

Austin Williams

"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would
make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven
symphony as a variation of wave pressure."  -Albert Einstein

www.PlanYourHike.com <http://www.planyourhike.com/>
Info on PCT Gear, Resupply Points, Maps, Thru hiking Movies, etc.