[pct-l] Snow Photos last year, June&July,

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Apr 6 23:40:07 CDT 2011

Just in case anyone is concerned enough to see for themselves based on last year's experience, we have quite a few still photos taken along the PCT/JMT between May 10th and July 7th from Kennedy Meadows to the Muir Trail Ranch.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mountain-Education/157155614308934#!/photos.php?id=157155614308934
Look for PCT Video Research Trip, Parts One and Two

In essence, when there was less snow than this year, our initial snowline out of KM in early May was at 9,500 feet with about 3 to 5 feet, in drifts at first, then solid thereafter.

Your progress may slow down to 1 mile per hour.

We continued to experience snow storms until the end of May near Forester Pass.

After the thaw started, about June 1st, the snowline climbed to 10,500 feet. Do the mileage calculations based on snowline altitude to find out how many miles of snow-bound "trail" you will have to walk over on each Pass's approach and descent.

Hiking over and through snow takes a lot of time and energy. Plan for slow-going and great hunger. We ate 3 lunches and ravenous dinners and were so thankful that we had the volume of food to get us to the next resupply!

Creek crossings were easy to non-existent before the thaw. Some like Tyndall were still covered in snow! After the thaw started it was quite the different story! The South Fork of the Kings River was a torrent and the crossing in Evolution Valley was wide, deep, but slow and easy.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd