[pct-l] And yet another GPS question

Joshua Pinedo joshua.pinedo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 14:32:31 CDT 2011

Hi All,

I got about 3 weeks left at my job, and being the great people that I work
with, I know they're going to find an excuse to throw a party at the
office.  My office mate just told me this morning that they plan on getting
me a gift, so he hinted at not buying a GPS for my hike.  I never intended
on buying one, but rather print off all of Halfmile's maps.  Now that I have
this option, I've been scrambling to give him a couple of recommendations
based off of the few hundred threads I've read from posts since I've been
part of the PCT-L listing.  I'm not sure what the budget is, but I figured
between 150-200 or so, depending on the model he ends up going with and how
much money he gathers, I was going to give him some extra cash in case he
doesn't collect enough and act surprised when they give it to me.  Reading
through the posts I've noticed people mention the Garmin Dakota 20, but no
mention of the Dakota 10, does anyone use this model?  I really no nothing
about GPS so I was wondering which would be a good model to support
Halfmiles' waypoints as well as serve the purpose.  I'm not looking for
bells and whistles, just something to get the job done and hopefully
something with a decent battery life.  I've also heard people mention the
Etrex HCx series and was wondering on how people's opinions on that.  Sorry
if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm just looking for a little guidance on a
device that'll support HM' waypoints as well something that isn't too costly
and confusing for a first timer.

Thanks Beautiful people,

JP