[pct-l] Water Consumption - desert

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Apr 3 22:08:32 CDT 2011

I was pretty nervous at the start of my 2008 hike where I started in
Campo. All this talk about the desert. I thought I should carry 5.5
liters capacity and a 750ml wine bag for those really long waterless
stretches. I threw out that wine bag early on when I realized the
reality wasn't quite so brutal.

Let me put some of your minds at ease, if possible.

1) It's not all desert! You'll be walking through plenty of forest in
Southern California.
2) It's not always hot. Sometimes it's downright cold. Often it's
really very comfortable. It's also very dry so you're not pouring
buckets of sweat streaming down your entire body. Not most people
anyway.
3) You won't have to carry every drop you need to drink each day.
Cook your water-hogging meal at the water source. Drink a liter at
the source. Some kind of flavored drink helps it go down. Don't worry
you'll pee it all out. You won't. If you do, it's because you are
carrying and drinking too much water.
4) It really is okay to be a little bit thirsty. There's a difference
between thirst and dehydration. A little mild dehydration won't kill
you. If it did, I wouldn't have survived my high school years laying
out in the sun all day at the local swimming hole without anything to
drink all day.

Yesterday on a 16 mile strenuous hike (brutal compared to the gentle
PCT) in Ventura County, I drank one liter plus 16 ounces. But the day
was a bit cloudy and parts of the hike were shady. If it had been
really hot, I probably would have drunk 3 liters and been a little
dehydrated when I got home (reached my next water source) where I
would have fixed myself a cold, tasty drink and some salty corn chips.