[pct-l] SCAQMD Rule 1143 & Denatured Alcohol Question

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Apr 3 13:10:22 CDT 2011

Another option is solar. Yes, solar. My friend Beeman does this. He
likes to make for his meals some kind of soup base, either dehydrated
black beans, split-pea soup or lentil soup, with additives consisting
of random dehydrated veggies he makes himself from veggies in his
extensive and rather homestead-ish vegetable garden. He adds water to
the plastic bag and then sets it in an outer pack pocket during the
day. Time and sun rehydrates his meal to a pleasant, warm edible
state. He supplements this with crackers and whatnot and for dessert,
a portion of instant pudding and a couple of squares of chocolate.

I've done the solar-warmed water + time method myself on curried cous-
cous with tuna. It was one of my favorite meals.

Of course, you can't do solar cooking on every meal, but if you plan
your meals so solar cooking is at least an option, you can avoid
using any fuel for many of your meals. Your esbit or whatever other
kind of stove can then be relegated to a supplemental option rather
than a primary necessity.