[pct-l] Esbit, was denatured alcohol question

Jim Bravo jimbravo2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 10:31:56 CDT 2011

Last year I did some testing of different Esbit stoves and
configurations. Esbit burns so-so in a cat food if can you can get
enough air to it. Setting the Esbit cube on a piece of foil or metal
base with a separate stand also worked so-so. BY FAR, and I mean by
far, the best efficiency was generated using the factory (folding)
stove. It is designed so air currents to go past the sides of the
Esbit cube in an upward direction, causing a very hot output. The
angled sides of the stove also directed the heat right to the center
of the pot, also increasing efficiency. All of the other methods I
tried (literally dozens) were pretty inefficient, causing one to use
(and carry) a LOT more Esbit fuel. The factory stove is heavy (about 3
oz I believe) but quite likely pays for itself in less fuel
consumed...Anyway, I didn't like the Esbit odor and sticky residue
left on the pot so I've gone to a small, efficient center-burn
Brasslite alcohol stove. Fuel is easier to obtain as well (potential
new air quality rules notwithstanding).

Jim
Zinger