[pct-l] Food/money

Axel Roos roosaxel at csu.fullerton.edu
Sat Apr 2 18:12:05 CDT 2011

Hello all! My friend and I are looking to complete the PCT on a budget this
year (around $600-$700 each), starting the beginning of May.  We are both
around the age of 20 (1977 Monte Dodge style, haha.)

I was wondering if some of you veteran long-distance hikers could give me
some advice. Would it be advisable to invest in bulk food, perhaps something
like the High Attitude Sampler:
http://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/store/c/78-Backpacking-Food-Samplers.aspx ,
and to ship flat rate (USPS $10.95) boxes to resupply points? If so what
bulk suppliers would you reccommend?
Or to buy food along the way at trail towns (or a balance between the two)?

In your experience, which would yield lower costs while keeping reasonable
nutrition?
Please keep in mind, I am not one to rip others off and take large amounts
from hiker boxes or trail magic, so I hope you don't feel the need to put us
down. We simply would like to have an epic quest while keeping our expenses
reasonable.
Thank you! HYOH
-Axel